Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Arrival

So to put you out of your suspense, I did make it to Galway! The process was kind of painful but in theory everything went pretty smoothly with my flights being uneventful and on time and everything. I'm still kind of confused about the days, because I didn't leave yesterday, I left two days ago. So on Monday I was headed up for the airport. In a final homage to my city, my mom and I stopped on the way to the airport at the Albright Knox to see the Stanley Cup, I couldn't help myself. But then we got to the airport super early and I had a couple hours to hang out with my parents and Gabe, who came to see me off. They couldn't go through the security. It was really hard.


I made it to New York City and met up with the whole group of Canisius people going. We had a pretty long layover so it was low stress. The main problem for me was that I didn't sleep at all on the international flight. And it landed at like nine in the morning local time. So I was just pretty exhausted and we had to wait in this really long line for customs and trying to change our money over and everything. And we landed in Shannon and had to take a bus to Galway, but we missed the first bus because it was full so we had to wait for another hour. Eventually we made it here and found Niland House with its orange balconies and made it up to our room. Which is very nice but I don't have any pictures yet, maybe tomorrow.

Pretty much I was just tired and miserable and angry at everyone else even though they didn't really do anything wrong. So I didn't go out last night or anything, I just slept. I saw a couple streets of the town only so far but it seems really cute. I want to do some more exploring today but there's a lot to get used to. Like how I woke up at 7am and it was still completely dark. It's a little after 8am now and starting to get a little brighter but I guess the sun doesn't rise until almost 9. Also yesterday I went to the grocery store for the first time and it was just stupidly overwhelming. I can't figure out any of the food. I ended up buying yogurt only. Everything is weird brands and all their chips are weird flavors like bacon or chicken. I mean crisps. See what I mean? I'm hoping if I go back today after having a night of sleep, simple tasks like picking out food will seem less overwhelming.

I just feel very far away from everyone I know.

3 comments:

  1. Hang tight Nerdle - you're in for the adventure of a lifetime!! I know you. You'll be showing us all the hotspots when we arrive in March.

    Looking forward to your photo exposé!
    It was nice talking to you last night (or whatever time that was for you!)
    More later! - Kristin a.k.a Strumpet (from now on-as not to confuse me with Kristin "not me") Peace. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoy your jetlag! xD

    -Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you dye your hair green now?

    Jane H

    ReplyDelete